IB Art and Music Showcase Shares Talented Artists’ Work

Kamiya Rodrigues

Brandon Lopez showing off his art at the 2020 IB Art and Music Showcase.

Diana Lopez, Contributing Writer

Mr. Smith and his IB Visual Arts Class held a visual arts showcase in Valley’s library by hanging up their art pieces up onto poster boards all over the library. This event was on March 5 during school until 7 pm.

Kamiya Rodrigues
Brandon Lopez and IB Art Instructor Chance Smith at the IB Art and Music Showcase.

IB Music was also a part of this showcase, performing first in the New Theater before guests moved to the library.

Kamiya Rodrigues
Three IB students perform at the Art and Music Showcase.

“IB Music students Michael Galvan, Nina Hernandez, and Julia Vargas performed various works from Chopin to Sinatra,” Orchestra Director Dahlia Horenziak said.  “They did a wonderful job performing for family and friends.”

On April 9, all IB art seniors had to upload their visual arts to IB.

“Obviously I wanna thank my students, and I think it’s a privilege to be a part of this program. It’s not only intimidating but exhilarating; I love it. There is wonderful work here. I’m always impressed and always surprised,” IB Visual Arts teacher Mr. Smith said.

IB visual art students spent the morning setting up in the library, moving around tables and hanging up their art pieces. When they were finished, they spent the whole school day in the library presenting their work to other students around campus. 

Kamiya Rodrigues
Guests viewing the artwork at the IB Art and Music Showcase.

“My favorite piece is a photograph that I took, and it’s called ‘post work.’ It shows my dad and my dog on top of my dad, and they’re just relaxing and chilling after my dad went to work. It’s so heartwarming to me; that’s why I love it so much,” senior Emily Rosas said. 

Kamiya Rodrigues

During the evening, more students and parents came in and walked the library and viewed the art displayed to them as a gallery walk. IB visual arts students were cheerful, talking about their work with new people. 

“My artwork piece symbolizes that there is more in us than we know because usually a lot of times when teenagers and other people look in the mirror, they don’t really like what they see or there’s stuff about them they wanna change, and it is supposed to represent that we have everything we need within us.” senior Samoa Hufane said.

Overall, the IB visual art students were very excited to show off their art work to other people and super pleased to everyone who showed up and supported them.

Kamiya Rodrigues
Jesse Perez posing with his artwork at the IB Art and Music Showcase.

“I absolutely love and adore art; I started drawing when I was about three, and I absolutely loved it,” junior Michele Mendoza Godinez said.  “Whatever I could do; I would grab a pen and paper and I would scribble all over.”

Kamiya Rodrigues
Mickey Mendoza Godinez showing off her artwork at the IB Art and Music Showcase.

Please enjoy the artwork presented at the IB Art and Music Showcase.  Thor’s Hammer would like to apologize for not knowing/posting the artists’ names nor grouping their work together.