Scholars play West Side Story at Movie Night Fundraiser

Kamiya Rodrigues

Penelope Reyes and Kandy Valencia sell concessions at VVS Movie Night.

Thor's Hammer Staff

West Side Story was the movie featured for Valley Viking Scholars Movie Night on February 7 in the school library from 5 to 7:30.  West Side Story is a film from 1961, which features the Romeo and Juliet theme of William Shakespeare.

Kamiya Rodrigues
West Side Story at VVS Movie Night

All students were welcome and many showed up for the movie night experience, where refreshments were sold and the movie played on the large-screen, interactive television.  Groups of students huddled with their friends to enjoy the movie.

Kamiya Rodrigues
Students enjoy West Side Story at VVS Movie Night.

The night was amazing, and the movie was a classic storyline with its own unique twists! It was funny to hear everyone’s commentary since we were all so close, but overall, there was candy, soda, and a one dollar movie! Who could ask for more?” Valley Viking Scholar board member Kahleia Corpuz said.

Kamiya Rodrigues
Students watching West Side Story at VVS Movie Night.

The movie night fundraiser was set up around Valentine’s Day and was to feature a romantic comedy, but with CCSD’s rated G policy, West Side Story was one of the few options.  However, it worked out well for the scholars and their fundraiser.

“The students seemed engrossed by the classic movie, West Side Story, with its relatable Romeo-and-Juliet storyline,” adviser John Bence said, adding, “It would have been great to have more students there, but this was a good first event. Hopefully, we will build our audience.”