Valley’s Athletes of the Year

Kahleia Corpuz, Editor-in-Chief

If something stands between you and your success, move it. Never be denied.”

— Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson

Seniors have a four year time limit to leave their mark and make their names known, so how do they do it?

“If something stands between you and your success, move it. Never be denied,” said retired athlete Dwayne “the Rock” Johnson. 

Christian Franklin and Kaiya Maye have been named Valley’s Athletes of the Year for their amazing leadership capabilities, incredible athletic ability, and drive to win. 

Christian Franklin

During Franklin’s four years at Valley, he was captain of the JV football, basketball, track, and cross country teams. With this long record of leadership, it is no question that his abilities transcend what he can show at the games. 

During Christian’s time at Valley HS, he demonstrated characteristics of a true leader such as, taking initiative, being responsible about his duties, being respectful, knowing how to prioritize his time and his assignments, was great at building rapport with his teammates and coaches, was always on time, was a team player, was open minded, was a great listener, and offered great input into building a stronger atmosphere for our teams,” said Coach Segura.

Christian Franklin during a race at Cheyenne.

After a devastating loss at State his sophomore year, Franklin vowed to work harder. Before he even knew it, he was a five-time State champion. Along with being a five-time State champion, Franklin became one of the best long distance runners in the history of Nevada Athletics.

“I feel that my hard work and dedication made me get recognized because I would never let myself settle for anything,” said Franklin. “I always wanted to be better than what I already am.”

Franklin never stopped running towards his goal, in a literal and symbolic sense. His reputation followed him as his athletic career at Valley High School progressed. He left not only an impact on the leaderboards, but he created a positive school culture with his compassion and commitment. 

Coach Segura once said to him, “Life is just like a race, and the end is very far, but as you run that race, where do you see yourself at?”

For Franklin, those words have given him a vision and given him a question that he asks all of Valley.

“Where do you see yourself in the race?” 

Kaiya Maye

While Maye only attended Valley for a mere two years, she managed to dominate the athletic and academic game. She played basketball and volleyball, becoming the captain for both teams. Also, she did shot and discus for track and field. While she played sports every season, she maintained a high GPA and was an active member in publications and video production.

Kaiya Maye right after her very first volleyball game.

“I think my self-motivation has helped me throughout my academic and athletic journey because I believe it takes yourself to want to achieve your goals and to want to be successful,” said Maye. “I did have encouragement and support along the way, but I had that drive for myself to keep going.”

Her self-motivation was admired by everyone around her. As her coaches watched her grow as an athlete and a person; they were stricken in awe of her.

One of the most memorable moments I have of her is when she worked extra hard in practice to get her blocking and hitting on the net down and the very next game she blocked the other team numerous times and then hit a ball straight down on them!” Coach Tarina Elliott said. “Perfect example of her wanting to learn, pushing herself to get better and then accomplishing exactly what she worked on!”

Despite her success, Maye’s journey has not been a smooth one. After tearing her meniscus junior year, her athletic career was put on pause. It didn’t mean the end of the line for Maye, though, as she continued through the end of her junior year and senior year playing with a smile. She even managed to take the basketball team to the playoffs in her coach’s first year.

“She was our heart and soul. My most memorable moment with Kayla was when we played Chaparral in basketball,” said Coach Powell. “I got on her about a bad play. She looked at me and said, “It’s my first year, Coach.” And we both started laughing.” 

In such a short amount of time, Maye was able to leave a lasting impression on Valley, but how did Valley impact her?

“Valley will always be home to me, and it felt like a family. I want to also thank my coaches, my family, teammates, and Valley in general for always pushing me, believing me, and supporting me,” said Maye.

Congratulations to Valley’s Athletes of the Year! Valley wishes them the best of luck as they move forward to the next chapter of their lives.