Students During Covid: Distant Socializing

Amy Vasquez-Rivera, Reporter

Students have still been socializing in spite of the pandemic in the safety of their homes.

“It was different and upsetting because I like to talk face to face instead of texting,” Darnell Lucky said.

Many students feel this way and with reason. There is no feeling like being around one’s friends.

“I feel lonely not being able to see my friends face to face. I mean there’s a huge difference between texting ‘lol’ and actually laughing with a friend, seeing their physical reactions to conversations, and having that joy of another’s presence,” sophomore Alondra Cortez said.

Humans have a need for one another, especially during hard times. They naturally seek comfort. Without contact, they start to feel lonely, and it affects them physically and mentally.

“I’m very disappointed,” freshman Isabella Fortez said. “It’s taken a toll on my mental health, and I wish I was surrounded by people again.”

Although students may not be surrounded by their friends, they have their family to be there for them. All this extra time at home is a great time to get to know family a little better.

“I think that quarantine has given me a stronger bond with my family. There is fun quality time with them and times that I get tired of them, but it’s good to know that they’re safe here and I’m safe with them as well,” Cortez said.

Safety is the number one priority, but there will always be ways to stay in touch. Social distancing is vital to keep flattening the curve, but staying connected is just as important. The best students can do to have everyone be safe physically and mentally is distance socializing.

“It sucks,” sophomore William Bravo said, “but glad we can have a way to communicate.”