Mean Girls: The Cultural Reset

Alex Lopez, Reporter

Although it was released on April 30th, 2004, the pop-culture phenomenon Mean Girls remains an important part of today’s teen culture.

“This teen comedy proves there’s still mileage to be had out of a familiar formula – thanks to a sharp script and winning performances,” Empire’s film critic Caroline Westbrook said.

Directed by Mark Waters and co-written by Tina Fey, this teen comedy has established itself as a big piece of today’s pop culture. The movie stars Lindsay Lohan as Cady Heron, Rachel McAdams as Regina George, Amanda Seyfried as Karen Smith, Lacey Chabert as Gretchen Wieners, Lizzy Caplan as Janise Ian, Daniel Franzese as Damian, and Jonathan Bennett as Aaron Samuels. The movie has a solid rating of 84% in Rotten Tomatoes.

Mean Girls is a movie about teenager Cady Heron who was raised in Africa by her scientist parents. It is in her junior year of high school that she gets to go to a regular public high school in the US. It is in this new school that she meets the school’s group of popular girls: The Plastics. This group consists of Regina George – the leader, Karen Smith, and Gretchen Wieners. Soon enough Cady learns how this group of shallow, cruel girls became known as The Plastics.

After watching this movie, I came to the conclusion that overall, with the great acting and interesting yet relatable characters, I would say that this is definitely a film worth watching and deserving of all the hype. Mean Girls is the kind of movie that keeps your eyes glued to the screen because of just how good it is. Filled with a colorful cast of characters from different backgrounds and stories, you are bound to find a character you relate to in spiritual levels!