Celebrating Halloween: COVID-Style

Created by Isabella Medina

Isabella Medina, Advertising Manager

COVID-19 has made major changes around the community with how errands are run to how people will celebrate the upcoming fall and winter holidays with Halloween being the upcoming holiday.

“The next few weeks are typically when families start stocking up on candy and picking out costumes for Halloween, but the pandemic has made for some uncertainty ahead of spooky season.” Sally Jaramillo said in an article on 8 News Now.

Throughout the year COVID-19 has made events and holidays uncertain with social distancing and with fear of spreading the virus. Although with proper precautions, it is possible to celebrate Halloween and other holidays even with COVID-19 being rampant.

“In addition to its Halloween guidelines, the Health District continues to recommend testing for everyone, including both symptomatic and asymptomatic individuals. Testing is highly recommended for people with symptoms of COVID-19; anyone who has had contact with a confirmed case or possible case of COVID-19; has attended a public or private gathering of more than 10 people who were not wearing face coverings or maintaining social distancing, or anyone planning to visit someone at high risk for COVID-19 illness,” the Southern Nevada Health District stated.

So if students and teachers plan to celebrate Halloween this year, they should be cautious about how to spend the spooky Halloween night. Keeping a safe distance and bringing some sanitizer or something to disinfect hands or wrappers of candy before eating is key. It’s recommended to wear a face mask, stay home, and stay away from people who show symptoms of COVID-19.

“Halloween is one of the best holidays; this year it will look very different,” theater teacher Patrick Shimpock said. “Whatever you decide to do, make sure you are safe and take care of yourself and your family.”