COVID-19 Changes Day of the Dead Celebration

Isabella Medina, Advertising Manager

The fall season has come and so has the cold weather, pumpkin spice, and holiday festivities, even though the pandemic has changed how holidays will be celebrated, such as the Day of the Dead.

“Every year we set up displays of Altars and Ofrendas in the library made by students for students to see and learn about such a significant event in the Hispanic culture. This year, because of the Covid pandemic, and students not physically attending school, we were not able to set up displays as we have done in the past,” Spanish teacher Gustavo Oseguera said

Digital drawing of celebrating Dia de los Muertos (Isabella Medina)

On Wednesday the 28th of October, the Hispanic Pride club held a google meet presentation where the members talked about things done during the day of the dead. They talked about its origin and significance of the holiday,

“In the Mexican tradition, families and other groups build beautiful altars, glowing with candlelight, that are covered with the food, drink and other objects loved by the deceased while alive in order to lure them back for a visit,” Jon Archuleta said in a Fox 5 article.

The Day of the Dead is a holiday created in Mexico to celebrate life and honor the deaths and lives of those who are dead; it’s celebrated over two days. On November 1st it’s known as “Dia de Los Inocentes ” where they celebrate young children and November 2nd is the day where they honor all souls. There are altars or ofrendas with pictures of those who’ve passed away with food and water for them when they get hungry on their visit to the living world and with marigold flowers around to lure the souls back to their homes.

“We celebrate the Day of the Dead because we love life, and because after a hard life, we celebrate what we have lived,” senior Stephanie Macias Maldonado said.