CCSD Delays Hybrid Vote Further

Quinn Pedrick, Managing Editor

The vote to return to face-to-face learning through a hybrid instructional model in Clark County was delayed further by the CCSD School Board of Trustees and Superintendent Jesus Jara.

“District staff presented to the Board of School Trustees health and safety precautions outlined in the Plan to Transition to the Hybrid Instructional Model,” a CCSD News Release stated. “These measures included voluntary employee COVID-19 testing through T.I.E.S, improved HVAC strategies and strict cleaning protocols for District schools and buildings, as well as additional mental health support through the Lifeline pilot program and Wellness Check Teams.”

While the vote was delayed until further notice, a detailed plan on how the hybrid model would run for students, staff, and employees was provided by officials across the district. Matters such as transportation, food distribution, and passing periods were discussed raising more concerns on how well this may work. Buses would be cut to half capacity, food would be served for breakfast and lunch to individual classrooms, and classes could possibly be limited to two a day to minimize interaction. The hybrid model would call for multiple changes requiring staff training and student compliance to ensure the safety for as many students and staff as possible.

“The Board acknowledged the difficulties of transitioning to a hybrid model of instruction during a time when local and national health data indicates concerning trends in COVID-19 positive cases,” CCSD News Release stated. “Trustees continued to express concern for the mental health crisis and the academic crisis associated with students in distance education and stressed the need for additional support in these areas.”

Due to the order of Stay at Home 2.0, as directed by Governor Sisolak, plans to reintroduce students to the classrooms have become a heavy-hanging question. There is a mental health and academic epidemic following this pandemic, but the safety of students with a rise in COVID-19 cases has taken priority, yet there are still home resources being provided for any and all students in need of them.

“We will continue assessing data, which is something that I have been monitoring since
March 4th,” Jara said. “Along with the Board, I hear you and understand you want to send your sons and daughters back to the traditional school building. We want the exact same thing more than you know. We will make it happen – in a way that is safe for all.”