Kahleia Corpuz

Virtual, Not Viral

November 24, 2020

Perhaps the most recent “Stay At Home 2.0” order by Sisolak has not reminded you, so I will: the pandemic is not over.

“The number of people testing positive for the coronavirus has soared to a new daily high in Nevada, with 2,269 cases reported today,” 8 News Now reporter, Kaitlyn Olvera, reported. “More than two-thirds of those cases — 1,567 — came from Clark County.”

When the state finally reopened this summer, I noticed the influx of people flocking outside, fully masked and socially distancing, which made my heart happy because I thought, maybe, maybe, we could get through this pandemic. I am astounded by how foolish I was to think that.

“More than 1,850 Nevadans have died after contracting COVID-19,” the Las Vegas Review-Journal stated. “The Nevada Hospital Association has confirmed the state is seeing an increase in hospitalizations among COVID-19 patients.”

Working during this pandemic has shown me that these numbers are due to negligence on the part of selfish individuals, constantly having to remind people that the mask seated below their nose is not an accessory but a necessity.

“Wear a mask that covers your nose and mouth to protect others in case you’re infected with COVID-19 but don’t have symptoms,” the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) stated.

Wearing your mask underneath your nose is like getting a 50% on an assignment. You did half of the work, but you still didn’t pass. I think what upsets me the most are that the people who complain about the pandemic are the same people who don’t wear their masks properly. I hope they realize that they are part of the problem.

“In general, the more closely you interact with others and the longer that interaction, the higher the risk of COVID-19 spread,” the CDC stated.

In an attempt to stop the spread, schools have converted many school events, especially senior events, to online events or events that follow COVID-19 precautions. These events have been canceled or been made virtual out of an abundance of caution. While this has made students across the district understandably upset, it is a necessity to keep everyone safe. I do not believe that high school students, who can supposedly make events in-person with COVID-19 precautions, cannot understand that they do not only run the risk of endangering themselves in running these unauthorized in-person events but their families as well.

“The virus that causes COVID-19 appears to spread more efficiently than influenza but not as efficiently as measles, which is among the most contagious viruses known to affect people,” the CDC stated. “People who are physically near (within 6 feet) a person with COVID-19 or have direct contact with that person are at greatest risk of infection.”

When I hear the argument that since a person is young, they will be fine if they get it because they’ll be sure to recover, I just have to question how self-centered a person has to be to think that. If you get the virus, everyone you have been in contact with is most likely infected, and if you have family members and friends that you know have underlying health conditions, you just put them in danger. Congratulations.

“People of any age can get COVID-19, even healthy young adults and children,” the CDC stated. “People who are older than or have certain underlying medical conditions are at a higher risk of getting very sick from COVID-19.”

I get that seniors are frustrated that the last year of their high school journey has not been what they expected or as “fun” as they expected, but if they want the fun events to come back, they need to stop testing their luck, and do their part to stop the spread.

Wear your mask over your mouth and nose. Stay six feet apart when you can. Stay at home when you have the choice to.

Do it for the first responders having to deal with the increase of hospitalizations. Do it for the people who still are unemployed because of the pandemic. Do it for your own health.

If that still didn’t convince you, let the two hundred and fifty thousand American lives lost to this pandemic convince you.