UPDATE: Fall and Winter Sports Officially Cancelled

Quinn Pedrick, Managing Editor

Valley sports have come to a complete pause this winter season with pandemic-related health concerns looming over the community.

All fall and winter sports have been canceled officially while spring sports are waiting for a decision from the CCSD School Board and Superintendent Jesus Jara. Valley’s Athletic Office has been working to find the safest solution for the student athletes while working with the district guidelines.

“Currently, The Athletic Department is developing a Comprehensive Return to Play Plan for our building and each individual sport,” Assistant Principal over Athletics Thomas Smith said. “We’ve had several meetings with coaches, encouraging them to meet with student-athletes virtually and just check-in. Our coaches are also working very hard at keeping and advancing in their individual certifications. As a school site, we have been making a ton of upgrades and improvements to the facility and individual programs. That’s been the silver lining we’ve been able to leverage this time to really upgrade a lot of programs.”

While Valley organizes the best course of action, coaches and athletes alike are left wondering what to do with canceled or ominously delayed seasons.

“[The athletes need to] take care of themselves and stay active,” wrestling coach Tyler Perry said. “This is an unique and challenging time, but that doesn’t mean progress can’t be made. [Our next steps are to] keep an open mind and prepare accordingly. We will be ready to go as soon as we are allowed back in the wrestling room.”

Until students can be back together practicing on a campus site, the athletes need to continue to work on their grades to be able to continue their participation in athletics when a season starts up again along with keeping physically active.

“School comes first,” volleyball coach Tarina Elliott said to her athletes. “Keep your grades up and continue to work out to stay in shape! Do simple volleyball drills at home to keep you still active and then you aren’t struggling as much when we start again. [Coaches need to] continue to keep in touch with our athletes. Provide them support and help when they need it. Just because there isn’t a season doesn’t mean it is all over for [the athletes]. Colleges are still recruiting and options and opportunities are still available! Your grades are most important to keep up with!”

Some athletes believe, “Sports should be closed,” senior Devin Hicks said. “We’re in a pandemic, and there should be as minimal contact as possible. I love sports and all, but I don’t want to catch/spread the virus.” Many athletes like Hicks are following the advice of coaches by staying active through social distancing. Check out this article to see some tips.

“I wish we could do sports, but I understand that it’s the safer option not to,” junior flag football athlete Edelin Cruz-Guzman said. “To prepare myself for the upcoming season, I’ve been working out and going on runs. My next steps, personally, are to get in shape for the next season. I plan to play sports whenever the season starts again.”

While students may feel unmotivated with their schoolwork or upset that sports are not occurring, the safety of the students and the community are at the forefront of all these issues. Sports will resume at one point or another, but patience and positive results are needed until that time comes.

“It’s been difficult; my heart goes out to our student-athletes; as I was in high school my #1 motivator was the ability to participate in Interscholastic Athletics,” Smith said. “On the other hand, other states have resumed athletic programming without delay. They were willing to take that risk. I believe that Nevada and its governing body, the NIAA, did the right thing with a delay in hopes to develop a comprehensive plan and in hopes that by now things would be better and the numbers have gotten worse. Every decision that has been made can be scrutinized, but was it right to risk it earlier in the year? Probably not? Should we do it now with a record-high positivity rate? I don’t know. Either way, we will be ready to resume sports when we get the okay. And we will do so safely.”