Ward 3 Gives Food Away

Valley staff teams up with the Culinary Academy of Las Vegas to offer food to people in need. They gave out more meals than what they expected.

Courtesy of Valley Staff

Kamiya Rodrigues, Reporter

Offering food to people in need, the Culinary Academy of Las Vegas teamed up with Valley staff on January 26.

Boxes of food were given away at a pick up event held on the Eastern side of Valley High School. Staff members, including Principal Ramona Esparza and Assistant Principal Philip Marsh, participated in hopes of helping out others. During the allotted time, at least 100-200 meals were given out every hour.

“It lasted about 3 hours,” Marsh said, “and we gave out 600 food baskets.”

Using various resources, Valley staff spread word of the event.

“We sent ParentLinks emails to all families and students’ emails, we posted it on social media (Twitter and website),” Esparza said, “and we shared the flyer with our feeder middle school and elementary school so they could let their families know, too.”

The turnout was bigger than expected. The original 500 boxes went up to 600 when a truck carrying extra meals arrived later on. The boxes included plenty of nutritional cuisine.

There was a “large frozen chicken, a box of vegetables, with potatoes, onions, etc.,” Esparza said, “and dry goods like rice and dry beans.”

No requirements were needed in order to receive a box. Everybody and anybody was eligible to pick up their very own box of food.

“All they had to do was show up,” Marsh said. “It was a great event!”