Valley Celebrates Students for Positive Behavior

Michale Marquez was hurriedly finishing song lyrics, trying to win one of the many prizes. She was immensely excited when she was the first student to remember the completed verse.

Emma Thurgood

Emma Thurgood, Reporter

Valley High School planned a virtual celebration to remind students that their positive actions are noticed and appreciated.

The event was hosted by Valley social worker Sarah Garcia, who wanted to commend students for the effort they continually put into the school and themselves.

“I think we are all living in a time where it can be easy to get stuck in patterns and not feel proud of ourselves. Some of us might feel like we cannot get anything right even though we are pushing through and doing amazing things every day,” Garcia said. “My hope is that events like these remind students of their value and their ongoing ability to be resilient and successful.”

Jebette Caterina couldn’t hold back her enthusiasm while encouraging students to let loose and have fun. Soon, everyone was having a great time thanks to one infectious smile. (Emma Thurgood)

These events are meant to positively impact students in a way that is entertaining and safe to do from home. This proved to be an enticing challenge for Garcia.

“I honestly love putting on events, especially events that recognize the positive efforts of our students,” Garcia said. “I liked the added challenge of trying to plan something unique and fun on a virtual platform, so I was eager to put time and effort into this to see it all come together. Plus, I miss seeing our students, so this was an added way for me to get to connect and have fun with our Vikings.”

The celebration had students and teachers alike singing, dancing, and just having a good time. The event was to reward students behavior but also to relax and have fun, and Garcia can’t wait to do it again.

“Yes, we definitely want to host more events like this,” Garcia said. “The more we can come together and recognize student efforts, the better our Viking community will be. We hope to have these events monthly and to see what else we can envision and create for our deserving students.”