JROTC Does Decades Comic Book Project

Sent by Christopher Amos Taken by Diana Rivas

This is an image of a hand drawn decade comic book specifically about technology. JROTC students were assigned a project where they neeed to make a comic book about past decades and that decade’s culture, transportation, technology, and economy.

Valeria Garcia Alcala, Reporter

JROTC (Junior Officers’ Training Corps) students were assigned a comic book project where students have to make a comic related to a specific decade and submit pictures of it by February 26, 2021.

For this project, students, depending on their ranks, were assigned a specific decade, and they had to research the culture, social aspects, transportation, economy, and technology of that decade. The project is mainly about students learning about the past, but it is related to other things as well.

“It’s related to civics and research ability,” JROTC teacher Christopher Amos said.

The decade project was assigned so that students could get a chance to research older decades and learn about what life was like decades ago.

This “[t]eaches the students about the small things in recent history that help shape and form fashion, music, and life as we know it today,” Amos said. “The importance of the Decade Assignment is for students to talk with their older relatives and research recent history, fashion, events, politics.”

JROTC student Diego Mendez said the comic book project will teach him about the past cultures. He also stated his contradictory feelings on the assignment.

“I am kind of excited because I will learn new things, but at the same time, I am not, because I am not very good at drawing,” Mendez said.

There are many ways to do the project. For example, they can hand draw the comic book, they can make google slides, or they can even make it on their computer and print it out Amos said, adding that there are certain things students can do to get the best grade possible on the decades comic book project.

“The best way to get the best grade is to be able to print the assignment out,” Amos said, “so it looks like a comic book, and [shows] personal ties to family members.”