Smith Serves to Help Students Grow

Assistant Principal Thomas Smith aims to help improve Valley High School by working with both teachers and students. He has been teaching for about nine years.

Courtesy of Thomas Smith

Kamiya Rodrigues, Reporter

Assistant Principal Thomas Smith has devoted his years teaching in the Clark County School District to help students grow.

“I support our principal and our school’s vision,” Smith said. “I also try to build capacity with our teachers, not only instructionally, but through committees in order to support the vision as well. Other than that, my largest responsibilities are Athletics and Curriculum.”

Smith has been teaching for nine years and started working at Valley as a dean. He worked hard and later got the title of Assistant Principal. Since then, he has aimed his goals at helping students while supporting the school.

“There was a dean’s position that was open, so I applied after teaching for nine years at Clark High School,” Smith said.

Smith spends his work days helping students at Valley and working with other staff to provide quality education. However, outside of school, Smith is a different person.

“I love watching documentaries and ‘Drama Documentaries’ (Reality TV),” Smith said. “I also love coaching my daughter’s youth softball team. Other than that, I really love spending time with my family.”

Being assistant principal isn’t Smith’s only job. He is also the athletic director. This job requires him to work with student athletes and to oversee all athletic programs. Smith gets along with students as well as his fellow staff members.

“Mr. Smith is great,” Christina Nguyen said. “He’s not only the assistant principal at Valley, but he is also [over athletics]. It’s part of his job to get along with all student athletes and students, but he goes way beyond that! Mr. Smith pays attention to all of his students and treats them as if they were his own kids.”

Valley, to Smith, is viewed as a school that has it all: a safe and friendly environment where he would send his kids to school. He believes in Valley’s education system and way of operating enough to place his pride in Valley and its students.

“People ask me all the time about Valley, and I tell them that I work at a place in which I would send my kids to attend,” Smith said. “We at Valley have it all; we can offer any student any type of first class experience. First class run athletics? We got it. Band? We got it. Theatre? We got it. Magnet Programs? We got it. Diversity? We got it.”

Smith has proven through his connections with students and his work at Valley that he is a large part of the school’s community, as well as a huge help, in improving the school’s reputation and general school spirit.

“Overall, Mr. Smith is a vibrant and dedicated individual that contributes to Valley’s positive culture,” Nguyen said.