Elliott Encourages Athletes

Provided by Tarina Elliott

Volleyball coach Tarina Elliott (middle) posing with the 2019 girls’ Varsity Volleyball team in Valley’s main gym.

Quinn Pedrick, Managing Editor

Volleyball coach Tarina Elliott puts her time and effort into the athletes and students of Valley with her love of coaching.

Elliott has been Valley’s Head Coach for both girls’ and boys’ volleyball since she took the position in 2019, moving from Reno, Nevada, finding Valley’s culture and atmosphere to be her perfect fit. She is also the administrative assistant for the Magnet, Curriculum/Counselors, and Athletics departments.

“My favorite part about being a coach is being able to teach players the game and watch them grow on and off the court!” Elliott said. “Our teams are tight knit groups, and we become a family, and friendships and bonds are made. I love being able to help players not only learn the game, but also help them in getting to the next level like college.”

Before coming to Valley, Elliott was a case manager for the State of Nevada while specializing in adolescent and young adult mental health services. She has also had multiple coaching positions: one being the Head Coach at Sparks High School in Sparks, NV for nine years at which she was awarded Coach of the Year three different seasons. She also coached three seasons at the University of Nevada, Reno College Club Teams at the DI and DII levels.

The school closures have obviously caused a major halt in student athletes being able to practice and train as a team, and Elliott has done her best to keep her athletes involved the best she can.

“For my girls, they didn’t get a season to play this last year, so we had to be creative with ways to stay in shape and things we could do safely outside of the school but still following safety regulations,” Elliott said. “I hosted Google Meets for study halls weekly for both of my programs as well as to any Valley’s athletes, so our players can continue to be supported in the classroom [to keep their] grades up.”

Per Superintendent Jesus Jara’s directives, sports are to start up again in the coming weeks, and while girls’ volleyball will be limited to intramural play, the boys’ volleyball team will be starting their season. Elliott finds that starting the season with little team practice and preparation may be a large obstacle to overcome.

“Valley has been such a positive environment for me to coach in,” Elliott said. “I feel supported by the administration and our players as well as their families. I am truly blessed with some amazing assistant coaches in both the volleyball programs: girls and boys. Because of all the support, it motivated me to be more of a representative for our Valley players so much so that I am now also a member on the volleyball board representing our 4A division.”

Elliott finds her motivation to stay involved with her athletes by the joy she receives from watching their progress, seeing the support and bond of the two teams for each other, and being able to provide a sense of belonging for the students.

“Keep working hard on school work!” Elliott said when asked what she wants her athletes to know. “Get a ball, practice passing and setting, and try to get some workouts in a few times a week! To all the players/students wanting to try out and learn the game we are starting soon so start https://www.registermyathlete.com/, so I know you are interested and we can get you cleared to come practice!”