Perry Pushes Students to Reach their Potential

Perry has been Valley's head wrestling coach for five years. Perry commended his wrestler at a meet.

Tyler Perry

Perry has been Valley’s head wrestling coach for five years. Perry commended his wrestler at a meet.

Kaylani Rodrigues, Reporter

Wrestling Coach Tyler Perry devotes his time and energy to helping students reach their goals in the sport he loves.

“Wrestling has been a huge part of my life for the past 22 years,” Perry said. “I knew I wanted to remain in the sport after I was done competing, and coaching was that opportunity. I wanted to give back to the sport that has taught me so much.”

Perry only took on the role of Valley’s head wrestling coach a few years ago, but he has been involved in the sport for a lot longer. He also coaches and has coached for other teams besides Valley’s.

“I started wrestling when I was 12 years old,” Perry said. “I was a high school state champion and all-american. I received a scholarship to wrestle at the University of Missouri where I was a 3x letterman and we were a top 10 Division 1 program. I took over as Valley’s head wrestling coach in 2016. Since then, we have produced 11 state qualifiers and three state medalists, including a top eight team finish this past year. I am also a coach for the Nevada National Team, in which I have been a part of since 2016 as well. I have coached over a dozen all-americans, as well as two National Champs. I am also a coach at our local Legends of Gold wrestling club.”

While Perry acknowledges how much of a beneficial sport wrestling can be, he also knows that like all sports, it has its downsides.

“Wrestling rides the ebb and flow of primal emotions,” Perry said. “You deal with the highest highs and the lowest lows. Being on the end of some of those losses with kids who have put so much time in, is always tough.”

Perry has surely achieved a lot, but he is most proud of the changes made in wrestling at Valley. He, as well as the rest of the wrestling team, encourages students to do their very best in all that they do.

“The culture change is something that I am very proud of,” Perry said. “We have established a program that expects to win on and off the mat, doing the right thing aka The Viking Standard. I am also very proud of getting our first wrestler off to college on a wrestling scholarship.”

Because of his passion for the sport, Perry encourages students to give wrestling a try. He believes it is a sport that everyone can enjoy, and while it is tough, it changes people for the better.

“Wrestling is for everyone,” Perry said. “Last year, we had our first girl state medalist! Women’s wrestling is the fastest growing sport in the entire country, and I hope some realize there are so many opportunities it can provide. Also, I have kids tell me, ‘Oh I’m not big enough,’ etc. There are 14 weight classes! Wrestling is for everyone!”

Due to his hard work and dedication, Perry has impacted plenty of students. Andrew Lewedag is one of them. He feels like Perry made him a better wrestler by pushing him to reach his potential.

“Coach Perry is a tough person,” Lewedag said. “He has always pushed me to do my best even when I thought I couldn’t. Because of him, I reached heights I didn’t know I was capable of. Coach Perry has also encouraged all of his team to stay in shape and to stay active during the break, in order to have an edge over other schools that didn’t. And although I won’t be a part of Valley wrestling after I graduate, I’m happy knowing that Coach Perry will continue being its coach and backbone.”