Global Politics Students Hold Important Interviews

Global politics students interview influential people from around the world. These interviews allowed them to learn more information for their respective groups.

Emma Thurgood

Emma Thurgood, Reporter

Global Politics students conducted interviews with influential people from around the world.

Students interviewed individuals like Ilkka Turunen from the Embassy of Finland to Austin Bogues of the Neiman Foundation and Harvard University.

“My team learned a lot about the implications and future considerations of Brexit, as well as what the constantly varying reporting process was like for a journalist,” senior Global Politics student Bobby Degeratu said. “It was very satisfying to coordinate this effort and end our process in a satisfying way. The information we received from Ms. Edwards could not have been found anywhere else!”

Degeratu and his group interviewed Anna Edwards, a Bloomberg reporter and expert on Brexit. They made sure to prepare for the interview beforehand, so they could have a set of questions to ask but were also able to segway into a different topic.

“I worked with two other students to learn as much as possible about Brexit, and then we took the gaps in our understanding and formulated them into questions,” Degeratu said. “Any place we saw that we needed more insight or wanted a firsthand perspective, we crafted a focused question and addressed it to Ms. Edwards.”

They started their interview with a set of questions, created to learn more about Brexit than they could from research alone. Then, along the course of the interview, they branched out and asked follow up questions.

“For the Engagement Activity, it is important to address as many perspectives as possible about a particular inquiry,” Degeratu said. “Articles and textbooks can only offer so much, and there is something very authentic about conducting an interview with an expert in the field. It can enhance the final product significantly.”

For his group’s interview, they wanted to make sure they had as much information as possible. Asking questions that their research couldn’t answer and asking an expert on the subject definitely helps.

Junior Global Politics student Cailin Reyes conducted an interview with the President of Nevada National Organization of Women (NOW) Jeri Burton on how the COVID-19 pandemic affected women in the workplace. Through the interview, Reyes was able to learn a great deal about the pressing topic.

“Something I learned from this interview is that there is concern that the Pandemic pushed women back 50 years,” Reyes said. “One of the questions I asked was ‘Is it possible that COVID-19 may have created unfixable setbacks for the women wanting to break the gender-norms of being stay-at-home wives and mothers? Is there an unrealistic expectation of women being a wife, mother, and major earner for a family?’ and when I asked her [she said] that she completely agreed. Someone has to be at home all the time and women get affected because most of the jobs are not stay at home jobs but are jobs that you have to go out to do.”

Global Politics teacher John Bence planned for his students to interview these figures, wanting students to begin developing the skills they would need to interview and have genuine, informative conversations with individuals of importance.

“The purpose of these interviews is multifold. Primarily students will get information for their Engagement Activity that will give them a personal insight into their chosen topics. It will also empower the students to do primary research in the future,” Bence said. “When students prepare for an interview with a noted authority, they take additional care to formulate questions that will lead to information relevant to their topic. This preparation also enhances their ability to create follow-up questions during the course of the interview.”