Latinos in Action Hold Food Drive for the Community

Latinos+in+Action+holds+a+food+drive+to+help+out+the+community.+The+food+drive+was+devised+by+the+club+to+collect+food+to+give+back+a+non-profit+organization.+

Kahleia

Latinos in Action holds a food drive to help out the community. The food drive was devised by the club to collect food to give back a non-profit organization.

Valeria Garcia Alcala, Reporter

Latinos in Action (LIA) had a food drive on March 20th from 10:30 to 3:00 in the Eastern parking lot.

Jaime Alvarez, teacher of LIA, had a large part in the food drive. Alvarez, LIA students, and Assistant Principal Jennifer Geissinger were the main people involved in the food drive. The food that is collected will be donated to a non-profit organization.

“It started at an LIA meeting called masterminds with representatives of each school who has LIA,” Alvarez said. “This is where students come up with ideas about how to help or connect with the community.”

This food drive is for people who are in need within the community. The main purpose of this food drive was to have Valley and Latinos In Action students give back to those in the community who need it the most. Alvarez said that it is important to give back to those in need because no one knows who the next person in need will be; it can be someone else in one’s community or even oneself, and that’s why it’s important to care for others, too.

“I believe this will be beneficial and rewarding for both,” Alvarez said. “The LIA students will gain a better understanding of what it takes to be a community leader, and the people in need will get resources they need.”

Fernando Hernandez Melendez is the Latinos in Action President whose main job for this food drive was to direct people and make sure that everything went well. Hernandez said that he finds it important to give back because it is an amazing feeling to help someone and it is important that people give what they can or have especially in these unprecedented times.

“Being able to see many of my fellow classmates work together and enjoy giving back [was my favorite part],” Hernandez said. “The best part of this was being able to see many of them smile.”