Valley’s Magnet Programs Recognized

Valley Magent Twitter

Valley teachers receive awards for “Magnet School of Excellence” and “Magnet School of Distinction.” IB Coordinator Andrew Magness, MSTEM Coordinator and IB Teacher Jodi Cunningham, Principal Ramona Esparza, AOHT Coordinator Lisa Withrow, and Magnet Coordinator Karin Jones displayed the awards.

Kamiya Rodrigues, Reporter

IB along with AOHT had the honor of receiving awards from Magnet Schools of America.

“The Academy of Hospitality and Tourism (AOHT) and International Baccalaureate (IB) programs received a plaque and award,” Magnet Coordinator Karin Jones said.

Being recognized by Magnet Schools of America is a huge honor on it’s own. For Valley to receive two of these awards is something most schools don’t achieve. The two awards designated were “Magnet School of Excellence” and “Magnet School of Distinction.”

“We are very proud of our magnet programs for being recognized by Magnet Schools of America,” Jones said. “The Academy of Hospitality and Tourism was designated ‘Magnet School of Excellence’’ and the International Baccalaureate was designated ‘Magnet School of Distinction.’ Both awards are prestigious and are a great honor.”

Students in both Valley’s AOHT and IB programs worked hard to earn these awards and gain the attention of Magnet Schools of America. According to Jones, these awards were very deserved.

“Yes, absolutely our programs deserve not just these awards, but more,” Jones said. “I am constantly impressed by the hard work and amazing things that our Magnet Students, Teachers, Coordinators, and Community Partners do. Our goal at Valley Magnet is to support and prepare students to reach their personal and educational goals including college and careers.”

Valley is honored to receive these awards and hopes to improve even more in the future. In the meantime, magnet program students and teachers continue to work hard.

“Valley Magnet programs,” Jones said, “embody the MSA values, awards, and standards, and I am honored to be a part of the team.”