Ruth Realizes the Importance of Happiness

Jeanne Ruth is a science teacher at Valley High School. Her mom was a teacher, making her a second-generation teacher.

Jeanne Ruth

Valeria Garcia Alcala, Reporter

Jeanne Ruth is a Valley High School teacher who teaches physical science and dual credit for Nevada State College who worked in an optical shop prior to being a teacher.

Ruth decided to become a teacher because her mom was a teacher, which made her more drawn to the profession. Ruth also said that she really enjoys explaining things and sharing science with others. When asked what her favorite part of teaching was, Ruth stated she enjoys all parts of teaching, for example, the students because she is able to “raise” a new generation.

“I have now taught long enough to have students whose parents I also taught,” Ruth said.

As a teacher, Ruth has many memories of projects and things she has done with her students, but one memory she still thinks of to this day is when she took her AP Environmental Science students scuba diving. One goal Ruth has for her teaching/career is to make a difference to her students. Apart from the goals she has for her career, she also has goals for her life outside of work.

“[I want] to be happy and content with ‘enough,’” Ruth said.

Ruth said that if she could go back in time and give her younger self advice, she would tell herself to not sweat the small things because it is more about relationships than grades. Since she can’t go back in time, she would tell students to choose a career they love because it’s not about the money, but instead, “loving what you do.”

“Make sure you love it because no matter how much money you make, Ruth said, “if you are not happy, it’s a long time to suffer.”