Baseball’s Back

Kahleia Corpuz, Editor-in-Chief

Baseball is back at Valley for the Spring season, and the team has played two games as they come back from the pandemic ending 2020 season.

Varsity baseball played on Monday, April 19 at Virgin Valley, losing a tough game 4-2.

“Our first game, we made some early-season mistakes, but we battled hard,” Head Coach Tyler Winters said. “In that game, we showed a lot of heart.”

Their second loss of the season was their first home game, playing on Thursday, April 20.

“This one, due to injuries and such, was a little more disheartening,” Winters said.

Injuries affected the outcome of the game.

“It was a rough game,” Winters said. “We were excited before the game, but had a costly injury to our pitcher Kevin Sanchez in the first inning, which put us behind early, but also had us shift our whole game plan as we had to pull him from the game and had to play a game of defensive “musical chairs” to fix our line up. We had to use 4 pitchers over 5 innings, and lost 17-1.”

Even with the losses, players and coaches are happy to be back on the field.

“It’s nice to have life sort of return to normal,” Winters said. “Getting fresh air, exercise, routine, and just time together playing a game and sharing a game we love is a great feeling.”

Some players stood out through the losses and are looking forward to adding some wins for Valley this season.

“Primitivo Garcia-Palomares stepped up to pitch two big innings, even dealing with an arm bruise after being hit with a foul ball in our first game,” Winters said. “His brother Oscar, a freshman, really stepped up defensively, playing a fantastic game at catcher. Kollin Losee went 1-2 with a walk and a run scored, and Gary Bricker went 0-1 with a sacrifice fly.”