Softball Starts Season Strong

Kahleia Corpuz

Valley’s softball team starts the season off with a one to one win-loss ratio. The team played against Sunrise Mountain and Moapa Valley.

Quinn Pedrick, Managing Editor

Valley’s softball team played games on April 21st and 22nd, and they won a close game on the 21st against Sunrise followed by a devastating loss against Moapa Valley.

On the 21st, Valley held a strong six-run lead through the first five innings, but through some fielding mistakes, their opponents, Moapa Valley, were able to score eight runs in the sixth inning. Catcher Lily Mader tied the teams with a two run Home Run, and freshman Nataly Barrios got them back ahead with a run to base due to the other team’s catching errors.

“In the bottom of the 7th, Senior Pitcher Mykeanna Harris struck out 1 batter but walked 3, so Sunrise had the tying run on 3rd base and the winning run on 2nd base,” softball Coach Scott Pallay said. “However, Mykeanna got the next batter to hit a soft line drive which Shortstop Litzy Mendoza caught, and then when the runner on 3rd base ran to home without tagging up, Litzy threw to 3rd Baseman Julie Ramirez-Sanchez who stepped on 3rd base for the game ending Double Play.”

The team demonstrated many of their own personal talents for their close win of 14-13. Catcher Lily Mader excelled at bat with two home runs and a triple, scoring four runs, and having four RBIs. Starting Pitcher Maria Vega Hernandez received a hand injury mid game and co-captain Harris stepped up to the mound doing a “fine job as… the winning pitcher,” Pallay said. Kimberly Ramirez was playing her first softball game and showed a great start to the season, scoring three runs with a hit every time at bat.

“I personally felt like I performed alright since it was the second game of the season playing softball and just getting a hang of how everything works,” Ramirez said. “I played left outfield and didn’t let the ball go behind me and always kept it in front no matter what and hit the cut off everytime, which was good.”