Lost Game Provides Chance to Grow

Quinn Pedrick

Junior Destiny Ayala preparing to hit the next pitched ball from their Moapa Valley opponent pitcher in the bottom of the 3rd inning on May 3rd.

Quinn Pedrick, Managing Editor

On May 3rd, Valley’s Varsity Softball team faced a devastating loss of 23-1 against Moapa Valley High School.

The game didn’t go without a strong fight from the Lady Vikings. The players demonstrated great individual skills and amazing teamwork.

“Alondra Vargas Macias made three great catches at [first base] and even made an unassisted double play when she caught a line drive and tagged the runner on [first base] out,” Softball Coach Scott Pallay said. “Litzy Mendoza smacked a triple over the right fielders head and scored our only run when Julie Ramirez-Sanchez drove her in for an RBI.”

With not even a full day in between, the team was on a bus to Boulder City High School for another game. There wasn’t enough time to get a proper practice in, but the players were able to recognize the skills they needed to build on.

“We tried our best, and did the best we could,” JV Pitcher Sidney Davis said. “We need to get better at getting the ball in [to the infield] quicker and knowing when to not overthrow. We need to practice more on handling the ball and getting it to where it needs to be…. No one likes losing, but it’s always a chance to grow and learn from your mistakes, and hopefully we do better against our next opponent.”