Theatre and Choir Goes Virtual in Spring of 2021

Isabella Medina

The theatre and choir showcase was happened virtually and was recorded for people to view. It is uploaded on YouTube, and it can be viewed on Valley’s page.

Isabella Medina, Reporter

For this year’s spring production, Valley’s theatre and choir departments joined forces and made a video showcase presentation to show the production during the COVID-19 pandemic.

It is tradition that Valley has two productions: one play and one musical, but due to the pandemic, many things have been done virtually throughout the year. This year was different with the spring production in both how it was produced and its format.

“I loved the experience of being able to still participate,” senior Kaitlyn Moser said. “Despite everything being online it still felt rewarding to see my hard work come to fruition.”

The production was a mix of both songs and scenes from different movies and plays, and some were solo monologues and others were duets or scenes played by the actors who were cast for the spring showcase by doing it on video and recording in their homes to do the show.

The production was a mix of both songs and scenes from different movies and plays. Parts consisted of solo monologues and others of duets of scenes all played by the actors casted for the spring showcase.

“My favorite part of the showcase would have to be some of the scenes we’ve done, both the one I got to do with my best friend, and the amazing scene that Mariah and Lucas put on,” Peyton Collins said. “I’ve missed being able to perform with people, so being able to act alongside someone again was an exciting experience.”

Actors auditioned then rehearsed for many weeks preparing their singing and acting skills to put on the best production possible. The choir participated by singing songs such as “A Million Dreams” from “The Greatest Showman,” and the actors from the theatre performed scenes and monologues from “Hamlet” and “Dracula.” Most of the cast have had previous experience on stage with each other, and the production allowed time for the performers to socialize while remaining socially distanced.

“There’s a real sense of community and family there,” Moser said. “In the four years I’ve attended Valley High School, I’ve made some of the greatest memories during our shows.”