Bognot Bids a Final LOL

Liliana Lopez

Government teacher Vince Bognot in the Valley halls the first week of students returning to the building. He strives to be an administrator and is leaving Valley in efforts to do so.

Quinn Pedrick, Managing Editor

Tech nerd as well as Government and Teachers-In-Training teacher Vince Bognot works to make change and have an impact on his students and colleagues.

Bognot has lived in Southern Nevada for the large majority of his life, and he attended Green Valley High School before going to the University of Nevada, Las Vegas to earn a Bachelor’s of Science in Secondary Education with an emphasis in Social Studies. He is still a college student working to earn a Master’s in Educational Leadership and Policies while working on his fifth
year of teaching at Valley following two years as a student teacher.

“High school sucked,” Bognot said. “I got the grades, and I graduated in white. I was very strange. I was very socially awkward. I didn’t talk in high school, and my outlet was making videos on YouTube. It’s what kept me sane in school.”

While going through high school, a time Bognot did not enjoy, he turned to YouTube to help get him through it. He created videos mainly based on technology to help educate anybody who needed it, which can all still be found here. He was an educator from the beginning.

“I went into teaching social studies because it is relevant no matter who you are or where you come from,” Bognot said. “The study of government helps to understand the systems we have in place to understand the importance of being active in society. It is incorporating what is going on in this country today and tying it back to what we learn. I try to make it as real as possible, make it relevant. So many students ask why, and the fortunate part about that is I get to teach them that.”

Along with Latinos in Action, Bognot and other government teachers helped to make the high school senior voting register rate become one of the highest in the district. Bognot has worked continuously to teach the system of government to the upcoming generation of voters in a way that makes learning fun and efficient.

“As a social studies teacher, I am hoping that my students will have life skills as they enter adulthood and graduate,” Bognot said. “I have the privilege of teaching seniors. After that year, they have to make a decision on what they want to do for the rest of their lives, so I help them plan their economics through my course. They are so close to adulthood, and hopefully I have an impact on whatever decision they make once they graduate high school.”

Bognot has been a great advocate for mental health. He participated in the 2019 Born This Way Foundation collaboration with six schools in the valley, and he makes sure to spread awareness in his classroom.

“Content for me has always been second,” Bognot said. “I don’t care if people remember the educational stuff. I care that students remember that they have a voice and kindness. Mental health has always been my goal in the classroom, talking about difficult topics and recognizing it is okay to have different perspectives…. In a time like COVID, it is more important than ever to send out that message.”

Bognot is currently attending UNLV to work on becoming an administrator. He aspires to help and represent teachers through an administrative position that will help him be able to fully support the students, plus the pay grade.

“Even though I really like technology, I really love our past,” Bognot said. “Things made back then were made to last for years or decades, such as the typewriter or rotary phones. The things we have in our pockets right now won’t last ten years.”

Along with the social studies teacher’s complex obsession with the modern and old worlds simultaneously, he uses trademarked humor to send a positive message as well as annoy his students fora lifetime. It is not uncommon to hear the trademarked exclamation “LOL” coming from anywhere in a listening distance.

Teacher Vince Bognot’s collection of knick knacks and vintage toys. (Vince Bognot)

“When I was in high school, I never liked to make a fool of myself,” Bognot said. “I took my image very seriously. Now I tell my students to embrace their weird. Part of that includes a weird trademark and part of it is to annoy my students for the rest of their lives when they see those three letters.”

Writer’s Notes:
Bognot, you will be greatly missed by your colleagues and students alike, and I wish you luck wherever you go in life. While I was never your student, you have taught me more than a lot of my teachers have been able to: you taught me that laughing is good and valuable, you taught me strength isn’t in muscle or test scores but of the heart and will, and you taught me that it’s okay to be special and different and weird. I never sat in your classroom, but I will always remember those three stupid letters with a smile on my face as I think of the lessons I hope to never forget. Thank you for what you were able to teach me and a whole lot of other people.