Thor’s Hammer’s Editor-in-Chief Says Farewell

Quinn Pedrick

2020-2021 Thor’s Hammer Editor-in-Chief sitting in the journalism classroom in front of the website she designed, the journalism award she earned, and the helmet and hammer that symbolize the efforts and strength of the school newspaper she helped build.

Kahleia Corpuz, Editor-in-Chief

All good things must come to an end. However, I wouldn’t call this year a “good thing.” It was chaotic, unpredictable, and lastly in the words of Vince Bognot, “this unprecedented year.” While this year may have not been the best, the connections I’ve made behind the screen and all the projects that have been put into fruition at the hands of me and my peers was single-handedly the most beautiful thing I have ever been a part of.

I became the Editor-in-Chief for Thor’s Hammer after leaving the world of journalism in fourth grade. I vividly remember my Gifted and Talented Education teacher told me that, “If I wanted to be a journalist, I had to stop being so shy.” As much as that comment wounded me then, I’m sure Mr. Dahn would be pleased to know how outgoing I’ve become.

When I look back on the beginning of this year, I remember learning how to design Thor’s Hammer’s website. I spent hours and hours learning how to make the sidebar widget look a little bit more appealing. I remember asking my managing editor Quinn Pedrick and my adviser Kelly Pedrick for validation every five seconds as I changed the site. It was my first online achievement to watch the Thor’s Hammer website blossom into the site it is now.

I’ve watched my staff, a staff filled with some of the most enriching writers at Valley High School, blossom into a group of true journalists. They continued to trust in my leadership as the Editor-in-Chief, even as they watched me stumble as I tried to not only learn journalism myself, but also try to teach what I learned. However, their patience and humor assured me that no matter how much of a mess I thought I was, my staff was still there to believe in me.

Whenever I have felt down on myself throughout this year, I always seemed to hear Engel’s voice echoing in the back of my mind, “Your best is good enough for me.” I have been so blessed to have such wonderful teachers who believed in me even when I didn’t believe in myself. I am so glad that Ms. Pedrick believed in my abilities to not only lead Thor’s Hammer as Editor-in-Chief but also in my abilities to be the President of Valley Viking Scholars.

I will never forget how many of my teachers made me laugh even when my responses were just messages in the Google Meet chat. I can vividly remember a couple of times where I’ve made one off comments to Bence and Withrow, hearing them laugh at how stupid my comment was. It made time online a lot easier.

Thank you Valley High School. Everyone I have met here kept me going, and I will never ever forget how much this school saved me in a time when I needed it the most. Thank you for everything.