Student’s Cook-Up Exceptional Spanish I Exam

Lisa Norris, Reporter

The school year is coming to an end and students are finishing up their exams and class assignments.

With virtual learning, teachers have to alternate the way students take and perform these exams to avoid any cheating. Instead of tests, students are to do various different types of projects for each class.

One that is very creative and engaging for students is the Spanish I final exam. Spanish teacher Jaqueline Arguelles-Perez described exactly what students are expected to do during this exam.

“Students are researching a Latin American dish of their choice and cooking it up to explore what other cultures’ cuisine may taste and be like,” Arguelles-Perez said. “The end goal is for students to explore their surroundings as well as apply what they know and have acquired of the Spanish language through this final project.”

The project seems very fun to create but the question is why are students creating a dish for their class instead of writing about it? Perez explains that it not only opens their eyes to other culture’s recipes but how they are prepared and how they taste.

“Students are to gain cultural awareness from the project as they explore/research the Latin American dishes and get a little taste of what other cultures bring to the table,” Arguelles-Perez said.

Now this project is going to be for students’ final exam grades, meaning it won’t be graded any differently just as long as students follow the instructions for how to perform this project.

“The Final Project is being graded by the rubric as well as effort and creativity,” Arguelles-Perez said. “As students conduct research on the Latin American dishes, they demonstrate various abilities that are also taken into consideration as I grade their final products.”

Arguelles-Perez also says that students won’t be presenting this to class; all the presenting will be included inside their Google Slides. From there it is presented by her to students who don’t understand or just to learn different Mexican dishes students made to teach other peers.

Spanish teacher Aldo Aguirre was nice enough to share how the structure of the slides would work; however, it can’t be presented directly so instead the format applies as written:

Students choose a Mexican dish that they can prove was originated in Mexico.
They create a video of themselves making the dish and all this should be spoken in Spanish.
They create a Google Slide for their project, which just includes an introduction, ingredients, the video, and how it came out, what they liked and disliked about the dish/preparations, and comments from family on their dish.
Lastly, which is the most important part, students get to eat their dish and enjoy the meal from a different culture.

Aguirre’s student, Karla Martinez, created not only a great dish, but a great video! Watch it here.