Soccer Fundraises For Tournament

Alumni Dayan Rodriguez kicks the ball during the fundraiser alumni game. The game was held with the intention of raising enough money for the students to go to an upcoming tournament.

Edelin Cruz-Guzman

Quinn Pedrick, Editor-in-Chief

A soccer scrimmage among Valley alumni players was held on August 6th as a way to fundraise for a student soccer tournament.

The donations given by the 20 alumni who played helped the sports program build funds for an upcoming tournament as well as support their equipment-based needs. The alumni paid to be a part of the scrimmage and could purchase Valley equipment and merchandise.

“[It was a] friendly scrimmage to get out there and show how much we are out of shape,” soccer Coach Christian Alvarez said.

While the game was friendly, some minor injuries were received with light-heartedness. Alvarez bruised his leg in the efforts of playing the game, but that did not stop him from providing a game for the alumni looking to support the team.

“I came to the alumni game to support Coach Alvarez and our inspiring Boys’ Soccer team,” Alumni Hoffman Madzou said. “It felt pretty good playing with old high school teammates, and I had a great time.”

The alumni were able to regroup with their old teammates and coach to socialize after graduating from Valley. It was beneficial to the soccer program through the donations, but it also brought a sense of reconnection for the graduated players and remaining coach.

“[Seeing the alumni play brought] an overwhelming feeling of joy seeing so many alumni who once played for me come out and play and support,” Alvarez said. “[It] made me feel like I made a difference in their lives somehow.”