Varsity Soccer Team Plays Tournament

The soccer team plays four opponents in a tournament on August 19th-21st. The team came together to play with little chemistry to take 5th place in the tournament.

Edelin Cruz-Guzman

Lisa Norris, Reporter

Valley’s varsity soccer team played against four well-known high schools in a tournament on August 19th-21st.

Since Valley’s sports teams are back in school, multiple sports have faced off other teams who are more advanced in the rankings.

“We played four games,” Head Boys’ Soccer Coach Christian Alvarez said. “Out of the four games, we had two games that were higher divisions than us, and we had to compete with them. Although we didn’t win those games, we knew we could hang in there, and it gave us something to work on. I was really proud of the boys for placing 5th.”

Currently, Varsity is made up of 21 players, each playing this sport with strength and dedication for their team. Team captains like Jonathan Vargas, Adrian Padilla, Gael Mejia, and Nettali Rivas played well to score for their team, catching the eyes of their coach and others watching.

“I think the chemistry on the team and the way that the team has been moving the ball around on the field stuck out the most,” Alvarez said.

Other teams, such as Eldorado High School, Keppel, SECTA, and Sierra Vista played against the team. With some challenges, the team competed against their opponents with the help of their teammates.

“Some of the biggest challenges we were facing was getting to know each other on the field,” Alvarez said. “When you have a new team who has been out for COVID, you have to learn your teammates’ skill level. I think that took a little bit, and they were very nervous the first game, but they overcame that and showed up the rest of the games.”