Volleyball Tournament Finds Success In Teamwork

Tarina Elliott

Varsity girls’ volleyball team competes at an early tournament at Las Vegas High School. The girls used teamwork to build confidence and skills.

Galilea Marquez, Reporter

The varsity girls’ volleyball team started the year by competing in a tournament at Las Vegas High School on August 20 and 21.

The young team prepared for the tournament by learning their offensive and defensive plays as well as learning to play their rotations according to head coach Tarina Elliott. She has high expectations for the team of mostly new players this year.

“I want to see them come together as a team,” Elliott said. “They are a young team, and they missed a year due to COVID-19. I am trying to get them to that varsity level and prepare for the next season, too.”

While the team is mostly new to the game of volleyball or played on the B Team in the fall of 2019, they still have strengths, Elliott said.

“They never gave up on themselves,” Elliott said, “or each other. A few girls really stepped it up during the tournament, producing plays I did not see in practice.”

This tournament was a building block for the team as they prepare for the new season.

“Motivation is what was good that came out of [the tournament],” Elliott said. “My goal now is breaking the game down even further for them,… slow it down for this young group of girls.”