Key Club Welcomes New and Returning Members

Quinn Pedrick

At Key Club’s first general meeting, President Alexis (AC) RolyMae Creayla leads the start to an icebreaker. In the activity, members learned the names of others while given an opportunity to bond prior to the informational presentation.

Quinn Pedrick, Editor-in-Chief

At the first general meeting of the school year, Key Club made efforts to recruit through explaining their goals as an organization or club.

Due to the organization being run virtually the previous year, not only were freshmen new to the experience but so were the students who joined only last year. Everyone in the meeting hadn’t had a physical Key Club meeting in a long time, so it was the board’s job to make sure that members were comfortable at the first meeting while also explaining everything about the club.

“It felt like a new experience because it was the first time I had gone to an in-person meeting and the atmosphere was just very different from what I was used to,” senior Hermioni Cedillo said. “It was a really fun experience.”

Icebreakers and activities occurred throughout the hour-long meeting that let members get to know each other while also learning about specific requirements of the club. The requirements include contributing to service events and general participation as well as paying a fee that will benefit a student by providing them with future opportunities for scholarships or paid trips to club conferences.

“We were excited to work with new faces,” President Alexis (AC) RolyMae Creayla said. “On [the board’s] part, we were nervous that we didn’t explain everything thoroughly because Key Club can get kind of confusing for freshmen who don’t know what Key Club is. We gave a brief discussion about what we do and what it is to make it easier for them to remember.”

According to Adviser Trisa Swenson, Key Club is a service organization for high school students, and it is a way for students to earn service hours through their projects and charity fundraisers. There are also opportunities for students to learn professional or leadership skills through positions on the board, over a committee, or over activities or events.

“One of the most important roles I had to do as president was to make everyone comfortable in that scenario,” Creayla said. “I had a feeling some people in the room were nervous, and I didn’t want that at the first general meeting, so I wanted to make everyone comfortable and that this is a safe spot for everyone to come to.”