Girls’ XC Send Two to States

Quinn Pedrick

Senior Kevin Vargas runs during the state championships qualifying race at Veterans Memorial Park on October 23. The boys’ team demonstrated their progress over the season, though the team did not qualify for state championships.

EV Thurgood, Features Editor

Valley’s Cross Country running team, more commonly referred to as simply XC, ran at the state championships qualifying run.

Along with Valley High School, the meet included students from Basic High School, Cimarron-Memorial High School, Del Sol High School, Desert Pines High School, Eldorado High School, Las Vegas High School, SECTA High School, Sierra Vista High School and Spring Valley High School.

“I am very proud of everyone that competed,” Coach Sergio Segura said. “They ran their hearts out. Our boys team is made up of first year runners, but they ran as if they were upperclassmen. The girls missed qualifying to state as a team by three points, but Yatziry Gallegos, and Raffa Gano qualified individually.”

The meet was held in Veterans Memorial Park in Boulder City; it was there that Raffa Gano and Gallegos each qualified to compete in the State Competition.

“Personally, I was beyond happy to have competed at the regional meet & was happy with my performance,” Gallegos said. “I remembered the way our 2020-2021 season was canceled due to Covid-19, made me remember that enjoyable moments like these won’t last forever and we must enjoy it to the max. Of course there is always room for improvement, and I am striving to become the best I can possibly be…. Practicing on a daily basis with the team is the best way for preparation. Being mentally ready for this meet is also a great part of it; I just have to give it my full effort!”

Gallegos and Gano will both have to be at the top of their game when competing against all other schools in Nevada and both are ready to accept this challenge.

“It is honestly a great honor for me to be able to represent my school along with my teammate Raffa Gano,” Gallegos said. “Regardless of our team not making it to state as a whole, I am very thankful to have the opportunity to run for them.”