Valley Honors Students with Vikings of the Month Awards

Santiago Bont-Rangel, Payton Prescott, Charles Griffis, Chanel Jordan, Trevon Lawhorn, Bryan Montelongo- Maciel, David Mosqueda Aguilar, Edison Reyes, Christopher Rodriguez-Penaloza, Jhaydin Young, Hanna Zapata-Ramos and Elisa Veliz-Joya stand with Principal Kimberly Perry-Carter to celebrate their Viking of the Month award.

EV Thurgood, Features Editor

The first couple of months at Valley have been dedicated to re-introducing students back to in-person school, and the Viking of the Month celebration was designed to recognize students for their positive contributions to the school.

The students honored were Dre Boyd- Weatherly, Keren Torres Molina, Jade Cuevas, Zedekiah Yadao- Rubaines, Ella Mbonigaba, Jose Miguel Cruz, Ria Karadag, Loni Roybal, Mishel Amezcua,

“[To be Viking of the Month] feels really good,” Dre Boyd-Weatherly said. “I think sometimes, especially in a time like this, in COVID, it’s really hard to find meaning in a lot of activities, with everything changing so much…. It makes me feel seen in a way, and I’m very appreciative of it.”

Dre Boyd-Weatherly, a member of IB Council, was nominated by Andrew Magness for her positive participation in Valley activities.

“I definitely think it’s wonderful that Valley can continue to do these things,” Boyd-Weatherly said, “Especially now, in person, it’s super important to recognize the people in our communities who are uplifting and motivating every single day.”

Student Ria Karadag was honored to receive this award. Along with Boyd-Weatherly, Karadag was nominated by Andrew Magness.

“It’s very meaningful,” Karadag said, “because it’s just great to know that people see how much effort I put into stuff, because I always make sure I put 110% into everything I do. So it’s great to see that other people see that.”

Jebette Caterina nominated junior Edison Reyes for Student of the Month. Reyes is an active member of both his school and community, as he is in both JROTC and the Nevada Youth Legislation.

“I feel pretty confident being acknowledged by my teacher; it was an unexpected reward,” Reyes said. “I want to say thank you to Ms. Caterina for acknowledging me, and I want to say you’re a great teacher for supporting me through the hard times.”

Lu Graham, a Valley staff member, was glad to continue this ceremony, especially after distance education.

“We have such wonderful students who don’t necessarily go noticed, and when we have our teachers nominate our students, we’re able to see how wonderful the students are,” Graham said. “[To the students being honored with Viking of the Month], Congratulations, keep up the hard work! There’s 3,000 students at Valley, so to be acknowledged is a big deal.”