PAC Gives New Updates

Isabella Medina

UNLV Gear-Up Adviser Jackie Lester speaks in the November Parents and Community meeting about the student opportunities of UNLV’s GEAR UP program.

Isabella Medina, Reporter

A PAC meeting was held on November 17 to speak about the ending of the first semester and the UNLV Gear Up program.

The meeting began with Assistant Principals Philip Marsh and Terrence Simmons speaking about the end of the first semester: how the Final Exams would occur and the new grading policy that has been set for Valley. The grading policy consists of students being able to complete missing work and exams taking place a week earlier. Then school culture was discussed by Student Success Coordinator Keturah Draper, where she explained school culture has improved more as time has passed.

The rest of the meeting included information about the UNLV Gear Up program and TRIO. They are programs in which freshmen, sophomores, and juniors can learn and prepare themselves for college with several resources available to the students who are in it, such as tutoring, which is available for all students, and the Students Ambassador program.