“-ISMS” Are the Answer!

Isabella Medina

Valley IB Seniors' "Ism" project - communism

Haley Gil, Contributing Writer

The “-ism” project, a four-year IB tradition, was hosted by the IB seniors on October 24, 2019 during fifth period in the library. 

In the first semester of the History of the Americas, the IB seniors learn about their IB History exam. The exam consists of three different papers all pertaining to different times in history. The “-ism” project helps introduce the different “-isms” that relate to the History in Paper 1 during the first semester.. These are Communism, Socialism, Nazism, and Facism. The IB Seniors are given a presentation called “Cookies Are the Answer!”  by Mr. Magness to introduce this creative project, which is confidential and a surprise for next year’s IB DP seniors!

Isabella Medina
Valley IB Seniors’ “Ism” project – nazism

The day of the presentation students and teachers who entered the Library were handed a ballot and pen. All around the Library there were two groups for each “-ism”. Many want to know why it’s so competitive.

Isabella Medina

“When the isms project was presented to us, I was a little confused at first. All I knew was that my group and I had gotten socialism, we had to sell it to other people, and that only the winning group would get an A,” IB DP Senior Emily Rosas explains.“This obviously kickstarted a competition within our IB community.” 

Isabella Medina
Valley IB Seniors’ “Ism” project – socialism

For the groups that didn’t win the highest grade, the best they could receive was a B. So how exactly would they “sell” their “-ism”? 

“I loved the food they were giving out and many of the activities!” Senior Jessica Espinoza remembers.

So, food, activities, all of the vibrant energy, and especially creative booths is what brought the “-ism” project to life. But who won? Who was awarded the A? 

“I believe that socialism sold their ism the best,” Rosas adds about her group; she continues “because they had a good visual and when they presented, they would talk about it passionately and get the crowd involved.”